Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Mise-en-scene

Mise-en-Scene:

Mise-en-Scene is a French word that means visual composition of the shot. Also meaning everything placed on the stage or in front of the camera including subjects and people. Mise en scene is a catch all for everything that contributes to the visual presentation and overall look of a production. When the word is translated from French, it means “placing on stage.” Mise en scene helps elevate the film from a series of moving images to an art form. Many different elements come into play to make this happen, such as setting, lighting, actors, decor, makeup etc...


Background Research: It refers to everything placed on the stage or in front of the camera—including people. In other words, mise en scène is a catch-all for everything that contributes to the visual presentation and overall “look” of a production. When translated from French, it means “placing on stage.”Mise en scene is a cinema studies term that refers to what’s put in the scene. It refers to the overall effect of lighting, make up, costume, props and colour within the frame. Lighting determines what is illuminated and what is left in shadow and as such can create a whole set of enigmas and puzzles. The quality of light determines whether the scene is filled with bold, striking shadows, or is diffuse and hazy. The entire mise-en-scène will in effect bring colour sources to a scene but the visual composition will be carefully arranged.  a film's mise-en-scène achieves not only the ability to express to an audience the mood, drama, and likely events of a scene or sequence, but its affecting intensity, its mode of feeling, and to invite the viewer to feel deeply too. 


Content Application: I applied mise-en- scene on a project where i was asked to create an positioning of items to stage a illusion photo using mise-en-scene elements. For my project I decided to do a Scene from Red riding hood. Since I missed a day I chose to work on my own at home. I had to draw out how I wanted it to look and then I started building. I used a Nike shoe box as a base for my background. I cut out pieces of cardboard so my characters can stand up on their own. I only used scissors acrylic paint for this project. After I had to write a paragraph explaining all components of mise-en-scene and how I used them to create meaning in my picture.

                          


Reflection:
What I got from this lesson is that mise-en-scene plays a major role in a film. mise-en-scene helps elevate the film from a series of moving images to an art form. After learning about this I got to actually use mise-en-scene which helped me understand why mise-en-scene is important.

Sources:

https://browardschools.instructure.com/courses/1399731/files/194616677/download?download_frd=1

https://browardschools.instructure.com/courses/1399731/files/194616679/download?download_frd=1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

  Creative Critical Reflection